About Me

My photo
Woy Woy, NSW, Australia
Hi there! I hope you find some inspiration from looking at my blog. Take your time, click on some of the links, get some ideas, join some challenges, but most of all, have FUN:):)

Monday, 11 August 2014

LET'S GET SHABBY #57

Funny how I often get onto a bit of a 'run' of scrap projects. At the moment it's tins & boxes - into OTP things.....mainly because I've discovered BOSTIK PVA GLUES - kids glues, but they're FABULOUS for creating a shiny, hard wearing coating that gesso & inks stick to as well. Can't beat that. Dunno why I've been bothering with stuff like Mod Podge etc!!!
Anyways, that's one of the benefits of getting to test out products for Bostik, I guess----just sharing my 'findings' with you guys *winks*.
Right. LET'S GET SHABBY....here's the challenge:
GET inspired by a FAVOURITE BOOK COVER......It could be from your childhood, from your children's childhood or perhaps it could be what you've read more recently...
My cover:
I loved & adored these books - still do! I went with the brown natural wood-ish look....took the home crafted rug as inspiration, too.
 I only 'bulk decorated' the front as this is a tin that must slot between others - I've been using it for a number of years....my aim is to 'fussy' all my tins up. One day:) This was the After Dinner Mint tin on the left, below:
 And after - sitting in nicely......
A couple of pics of what I did:
 I didn't have much white gesso....so I used black. Makes no difference - it's there so everything else 'sticks'!
 Added a pile of ripped book pager...the glue got slapped on. Even so, it still dries beautifully:)
 Over the book paper I added some white gesso, then some Distress ink, then I stamped on with StazOn ink, which stayed wet for a while, so I took that as a sign to add some gold embossing powder. Worked a treat...but it got HOT, cos it's TIN!!!!
 Then I played around with some brass embellies I'd gotten from Natalie May a while back...some chippy that was in the cupboard....some plastic clear flowers....& some Liquid Pearls in pink, along side the gold glaze.....I thought the ric-rac & lace fitted the period of time from the book cover...gives it all a bit of a 'homespun' look...
Closie of the embossing.....& the pink on the inside of the tin? EMBOSSED!!!
This challenge really made me 'think' & is quite a fun, unique one to do....so if you feel like getting your 'shabby' on....head on over to LGS & join in!!!!!
GOODIES from & THANKS to:
Natalie May - brass flowers
Dusty Attic - chippy hinge
Bostik - fabbo glue!
Happy Scrapping, now ~ Lizzy ~ ♥♥♥

26 comments:

  1. Wow wow wow!! What a transformation!! I am LOVING how you added the lace inside :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...you are getting professional with these off the page projects. Simply gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo! I'm loving what you are doing with all your little tins...........this has come up a treat. Totally gorgeous work, Lizzy. Thanks for joining in with us at Let's Get Shabby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those books too! We used to live by Almonzo's house when we lived up in Northern NY. Kids went for field trips! Love love love your tin! Super cool! Kinda wish I had some of that glue, but maybe it's similar to elmers here...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are on a roll with decorating your tins, and this one looks wonderful.. love the textures and colors.. great make over!! love it.. looks like a lot of fun too!! Enjoy your monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful image on the book - it reminds me of "Anne of Green Gables" and "Pollyanna". Great job to use your book cover to inspire your shabby chic tin. Too beautiful, I'd be worried I'd flick paint all over it. You rock Lizzy; love your work :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lizzy this is shabbiness fabulosity! Wow...I love this. Sooo creative. I have always used wood...really don't know why I have not used a tin before and I have quite a few that can be transformed. Thanks for the seeds of inspiration...as always! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely reinvention of your tin, the embossing looks fabulous and I love the old worldy feel of the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh Wow ..the tin look Gorgeous..with all vintage look ! Loved the textures and the GOLD..:D !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful "new" box and a great feast for the eyes!!:) Thanks for joining in with us at Let's Get Shabby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just love this Lizzy. Your creativity is boundless!!! i wish I could borrow a little of your mojo when life gets in the way of scrapping :) love the ripped book paper and the metal embellies :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another pretty tin.... They make such pretty containers. Seriously though I don't know where you get the time. Fab way of dressing them up too I could do with a few in my room ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love what you can do, but I'm even more delighted this morning by your taste in books. The Long Winter is at the top of my list of favourites. I'd take that book to a desert island with me if I had to choose one

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your tins are coming up a treat. I love your descriptions of how you create and love where you got your inspiration from . You are an inspiration lady !

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an interesting challenge, and FABulous result! Love your tin, it's beautiful, and I would never have thought of embossing the inside. I have all my favourite book covers running through my head now .... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woooow! It's amazing work Lizzy! I love it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolute wowzers !!! I'm with girls... gorgeous transformation!!! I love that you shared the steps!!! Very inspiring indeed!! I wish I could get on and get crafty right now!!!!hugs x
















    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my! What a fabulous transformation! I want one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful"new" box:) Thank you for joining in with us at Let's Get Shabby.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is SO great! I love what you have done! Inspiring - now I'm looking around my house for tins!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW!!! Love what you did with the box Lizzy! It's just absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You embossed the entire inside if the tin?! Bye bye one tub of EP!! But wow, this is stunning Lizzy and I love the natural look to it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an adorable transformation both inside and outside the tin! And a fabulous extension of your fave book - oh and by the way love the book...I remember it (and Little House on the Prairie!) Your little tin looks lovely on your shelf.... now you might need to do the other one!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is superb love all the texture you have added to your tin. Thanks for playing with us at shabby.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks guys for taking the time to comment....I appreciate each & every one:):)